Saturday, March 8, 2008

As the Snow Flies...

Oh wow! Remember a couple of days ago? Yeah, I put the pictures up of our back deck and barbecue and my thumb (I always take pictures of my thumb when I take pictures)? Well, that's not even holding a tiny candle up in comparison to what we have now. Oh my goodness. It is Snowville here. The snow is wayyyyyyy up past what it was when I took the pictures before this week. And then it melted, and it snowed again, and it melted, and all last night and today it snowed and snowed and snowed. They canceled church services (we're supposed to have stake conference) for tonight and tomorrow. About 3:00 this afternoon I told Stan I had to get out of the house or I would go stir-crazy, so we ventured out. We crept along the 57, which is normally a 55-speed limit highway, at a snail's pace, because it hadn't been plowed for hours. Every time we got to a stoplight we either breathed a sigh of relief (green--we could go through) or held our breaths (red--we were nervous about being able to move forward once stopped). We made it to Blockbuster, where, thanks to Joel and Heather's urging, we decided to try a diet of Jericho. I mean, you can only read scriptures for so long, you know? So we got the first two discs and got stuck in Blockbuster's parking lot three times. The last one, Stan got us cleared out so we could get out of the parking lot, but we couldn't quite make it up the hill. Two nice guys pushed with Stan while I tried to steer us on the final ascent, but we couldn't quite do it. Just then, like an angel appearing, a man walked past carrying groceries. He didn't even ask if we needed help, just dropped the bags in the middle of the street, said, "This'll be the third time today," and pushed with Stan and the other guy. As I was steering the car (Stan said to go STRAIGHT up into the street), a snowplow was coming along the cross street! I panicked a little bit, but the snowplow moved around us, and we got into the middle of the street. We said a hurried thanks to our helpers, Stan and I switched spots, and he drove s-l-o-w-l-y home. I should have asked if we could have gone out for dinner! I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great- did you enjoy the "Jericho"? A big snowstorm is always fun.

Joel

Cristie said...

We're saving Jericho for today, man! Plus we have a showing of the house at 1:00. Yikes! Some day of rest this is! At least it's gorgeous today--blue skies, snow melting. Gotta love it!

Heather said...

another showing??? what a meeracle!
tell us what you think of jericho

Emilie said...

That's crazy Mom!!