Friday, May 30, 2008

Beautiful Brittany!


Back in the year 2002, our son Matthew returned from his mission to Armenia. He came to join us in Ohio--his first visit to this home. He had only been with us a few weeks when he decided to attend the singles branch on the other side of Cleveland. He came home entranced with a beautiful young woman who had played a solo on her cello during the meeting.

Well, Matt was a goner. It took him a little while to convince Brittany that she should choose him too, but boy did he get a prize! We fell in love with her over the next year; while Matt attended BYU-Idaho, Brit would often come and spend the evening with us, watching scary movies or enjoying dinner together. She bonded with Emilie and Caitie and loved to tease and be teased by Nathaniel. I came to love her as another daughter, so I'm so glad that she and Matt decided their love was eternal.

Brittany is a spunky, committed girl. When she decides something, she does it. She loves to organize and schedule, and she is a stellar example of integrity. I'm sure it is sometimes amusing and sometimes distressing to interact with such a large family as ours--over the years my focus on organization has changed quite a bit!--but she's plucky and flexible, and she loves us all despite our "playing it by ear."

Speaking of "playing it by ear," this girl is an incredible cellist! I love watching her face when she plays. She gets the most glorious sounds out of her cello. The tones are rich and delicious to hear. When we had our family reunion this past month, Brit and Melodie played a hoe-down kind of duet that was great! It was so fun to hear the knee-slapping renditions while watching Brit twirl her cello and play it like a base. Then it was awesome to hear the contrast in the classical pieces she played. I love how she teaches Josh and Melodie's little Adam. Recently he had his first book recital, and it was fun to hear her accompany him.

Brit is a wonderful, conscientious mom, and she adores their baby girl, Della. I remember how it was with MY first baby, David, and I relate to so much of what Brit is learning as she goes along. And now that #2 is on her way, we're excited to see this precious family growing. Recently Brit ran a 5k race while Matt walked alongside me. Her time was under 30 minutes! Way to go!

Take heart, Dearest Brit--it does get easier and more fun as time goes on! You are doing a magnificent job, and I for one am very proud of my extra daughter! Love you a ton, Brittany Platt Gardner! Happy Birthday!



Here's the wonderful family of Matthew, Brittany, and Della Lucinda Gardner!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Dang girl, you've been busy blogging lately - I love it. I enjoyed reading the latest entries about Brit, Jacob and your mom. We have a great family!

Brit said...

oh man...thanks for that post Cristie. It is a blessing to me to be part of your family!

Emilie said...

I love Brit!!!