Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Josh!

(here's an older picture--we're missing little Joshua James in this one, but it's the only family picture I have on my computer!)

Our third oldest son Joshua Adam celebrates his birthday this month. Josh will be 31 on July 19th. So what can I tell you about Josh? Well, for starters, he’s a very smart man. I enjoy hearing Josh’s perspective on decisions because he usually has a lot of interesting thoughts, and his counsel is solid. Sometimes I wonder who is the parent and who is the offspring here! Josh is a Certified Financial Planner, and he gives sound financial advice. He has built a good business through some challenging beginning years, and he is inspiring to me because once he makes a decision he sticks to it. He works with Prudential and is one of the few remaining in the group with which he was hired.

Josh sings with the Tabernacle Choir, and you’ll often see his face grace the TV screen. He and his brother Matt are in it together; Matt was selected for the choir earlier this year, and it is so gratifying for me to see them singing, often sitting together! My heart swells with pride when I listen to them and watch them perform. I love it most of all when Josh and Matt are singing in the Choir, and Melodie and Brittany are in the Orchestra at Temple Square, all at the same time. I know that being in the Choir is a great sacrifice of time, and it is amazing to me how Josh and Melodie manage that challenge with four little ones. But manage they do, and do it beautifully. Their children are happy and confident and they are very well behaved.


The best choice I think Josh ever made was in finding his eternal sweetheart, Melodie. They met when they both served as performing missionaries in Nauvoo, Illinois. The first time we met Melodie, we were touched by her warmth, her radiance, and her goodness. She is a blessing to Josh and to all of us!

Josh and Melodies’s house tends to be “Command Central,” as Brit has called it. Over the years, they have welcomed everyone to stay there. They have tirelessly changed bedding, set up beds, hosted family gatherings there, and welcomed Steve, Dave and Lori and their kids, Matt and Brit (before they got their own home a few blocks away), Emilie (who stayed there for about a year I think), Joel and Heather, Stan and I, Caitlin, and Nathaniel. All of us, in addition to other family members from Melodie’s side. I enjoy the spirit in their home. It is loving and patient, and I know that Josh and Melodie are doing their best to keep their relationship strong and raise their children well.

Josh, I am very proud of you, and I love you very much. Happy Birthday, Dear Son!

1 comment:

Heather said...

We love Josh - what a great guy. I don't know though, he's getting pretty old! He's a smart and generous guy - good job mom!