Friday, December 4, 2009

Minding the Gap


This morning I read the text of a talk I heard in September about "Minding the Gap," by Barbara Thompson. It is a terrific reminder of many aspects of life, including our relationship with God as His daughters, and our relationship with each other--even our relationship with ourselves. This last concept particularly caught my attention as I thought about various areas of my life where I want to "mind"--pay attention to--the "gap"--the discrepancy between an objective and something else that distracts me from my objective.

Say for example, I wanted to "mind the gap" between what I know about health and how I choose to spend my time, eating healthy and exercising. Or "mind the gap" between wanting to be able to play the piano and how I choose to spend my time practicing (or not). You get the idea.

So I decided to make a short list of a few of the areas where I want to be more mindful of the gaps in my life. I could probably go on for pages, but it usually is most effective for me if I create a short and manageable list, so here goes:

I'm going to "mind the gap" more in these areas:
1. Ideas and Action
2. Budget and Unfrugal Expenditures (my spell check tells me "unfrugal" isn't a word. Tough).
3. Being Fully Present with People and Trying to Get the Most Done in the Least Amount of Time

No comments: